Friday, 10 June 2022

UOS

 

Rites of Passage

Key ideas:

  • How do people grow and change?
  • What are the physical changes that happen during puberty?
  • What are the social and emotional changes that happen during puberty?
  • What is my responsibility as I grow and change?
    • How can I maintain hygiene?
    • How can I stay safe?
    • How can I manage my emotions?




This important unit focuses on the changes that a person goes through from birth to adulthood. Clearly, this involves an understanding of puberty; what takes place and to some extent, the purpose of it, although it is not until Middle School science lessons that the biology of reproduction is explored.

Along with the physical characteristics of puberty, come the emotional changes that accompany the journey towards adulthood.


Recognising and managing emotional change is also examined. The move to Middle School is an important focus and students will look at their own social skills to examine the way they respond to various scenarios that face children of this age. A range of strategies and skills to maintain healthy relationships with peers, siblings and parents are considered. This includes the notion that there can be multiple-perspectives on an issue.


This short, important unit addresses how children can achieve balance at this potentially unsettling period in their lives. Any challenging ideas are dealt with discreetly and thoughtfully.